Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Faking It...

I found my 22 month old son "fake" reading an Elmo book today. He sat with the book on his lap and page by page "read" with the same inflection that I would use to read to him. It made me smile and remember countless instances when I would "fake" it myself.
Now before you start thinking dirty, let me clarify...
According to a 2005 Gallup poll, 72% of men between the ages of 18 and 29 are sports fans. Also, according to a very inaccurate U.S. Census bureau in 2000 about 95% of the U.S. population is heterosexual. So, even if you lower that number to 90%, it's pretty safe to say that most men love sports and most men love women, therefore a woman who loves sports could be the ultimate male desire both professionally and socially.
So, what does this have to do with Elmo? My son simply reminded me of all of the times that I faked it for my own personal gain. Walking into meetings while my male cohorts were mid-conversation focused on the World Series became very easy to join with a mere 5 minutes of attention paid to SportsCenter on ESPN. You take one sportscaster's opionion and voice it and nothing else needs to be said. You just need a few disapproving looks on your face as the guys immediately engage in debate and you are now the official "chick in the office that's into sports"...Score!
Same strategy can be used for dating, followed by relationship with sports fan, followed by true involvement in the sports community and before you know it you are following spring training and the ERA's of the best pitchers. It's a beautiful harmony of things that are just meant to be.
So, ladies, I dare you to fake it and see what happens, because the odds are in your favor to turn heads and there's only a slight chance that you might mess it up. If that happens, just roll your eyes and admit that you just caught a minute of SportsCenter. The fact that you said that word out loud will set you on the right path to Awesomeness.
Don't hate the game...just play it!
Now, I need to get back to Elmo.

No comments:

Post a Comment