Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's Been A While

I had to take a little sebaticle from blogging in order to carry out my obligations as a matron of honor which included satisfying my obsessions with party planning via spreadsheets and checklists.
So as the school year came to an end and the summer took it's first breath, so did I. I was excited about the idea of not having to get up every morning and head to school. That excitement faded very, very quickly and I found myself searching desperately for a mantra that I could repeat in my head to get me through just the first hour of the morning. And then I realized something. I had my summers and my cartoons and my free time.

This is their time now and this is my job.

So there it is...my mantra...it's kind of boring and not nearly as introspective as I consider myself, but it is what it is. This is my job. When I used to work full-time, I couldn't just yell at my co-workers because they were testing my patience and getting on my nerves. I had to walk away and take a deep breath and focus my frustration elsewhere. This is my job. Add the emotional aspect of my co-workers being my children and take another deep breath. This is my job.

Now add the reality that the stress of summer may be impacting my 5 year-old substantially more. Said stress is manifesting itself in a recent and pretty prominent eye-twitch along with a consistent tendency to drop things on the floor (a full bowl of cereal this morning) and melt down within 10 minutes of getting out of bed. OTake several deep breaths. This is my job.

I lOVE my kids, I really like my job, my co-workers...DEEP BREATH :)

1 comment:

  1. Love it ... I have been taking a consistent deep breath lately. Well put. I shall think of them as my co workers tomorrow, maybe that will help, although I think Kaitlyn would be fired by now! Miss you. Glad you are back writing :) xo

    ReplyDelete